header image

Maxine’s Silence, Maxines Reality.

So as I am preparing to write my final blog entry, (For this class at least, I have actually found a great interest in blogging, what I like to call “my private escape”)I realize that I am like Maxine. Maxine has evolved, she has matured, and now looks back at her past at a distance, the same way I have grown in this class and now look at my blogs, my memoirs of English 255.

The last chapter of  “The Woman Warrior” is symbolic is many different ways and I think that was the authors complete intent. Allow me to be more specific, it is the first time in the entire book that we concentrate on Maxine’s life alone. We have read pages and pages of the people that surround Maxine, we have even taken amazing journeys to places that she has created in her mind, but we have never gotten to know her early life.We got to see the plant but we never saw the seed. How symbolic is that this is  end of the chapter but the beginning of her life. This is the end of the beginning.

Childhood is a very important chapter in one’s life because it molds you to what you are to become as you get older. The experiences, both good and bad, the lessons learned and not learned, are all a process in the development your character. A lot of questions have been answered now that we know about Maxine’s early life. The story does not fail to disappoint me, and begins with another surprising discovery; Brave Orchid slit a part of Maxines tongue when she was a baby so she would never become tongue-tied. When I read this, I seriously had to pause and think to myself.. REALLY? From here on forward, we begin to visti

Everything becomes clearer now. Maxine has lived her entire life holding back her thoughts and emotions. She was a prisoner in the sense that she was not able to talk and express herself like a normal person, like a child does. We have to remind ourselves how outspoken children can be, that’s what characterizes them. They don’t even know how to form sentences and they are already babbling their life way. But Maxine is stuck in the middle of two very diverse cultures, Chinese and American. For an American, the idea of speaking your mind comes natural, it’s basically something you are born with. For Chinese people, a woman that speaks her mind isn’t looked at in a positive way. Her silence was really her doubt, her confusion of not knowing what was acceptable. I think that Maxine finds herself, finds her voice, when she confronts her mother. I am not able to answer whether it was a Chinese or an American voice, as a matter of fact, I don’t think Maxine would be able to answer that herself, but it doesn’t even matter because it is a voice that screams.

I think that there is much to be learned from this book because it really shows the difference of cultures.What may be perfectly normal to one country, may be completely abnormal to another. But that is the beauty of  diversity. Unlike hundreds of books that have titles that have no direct correlation to the actual text, I think this books title suits the book perfectly. Only a warrior would be able to live through difficult conflicts and survive. A warrior fights till the very end without giving up, a warrior shows great vigor and is courageous, even through silence. To me, Maxine is a woman warrior.

~ by Jessica Ruiz on December 9, 2010.